Scottish Parliament: Committees: European: Minutes: Meeting 6, 2002
Author(s): Scottish Parliamentary Corporate Body
Copyright holder(s): Scottish Parliamentary Corporate Body: © Scottish Parliamentary copyright material is reproduced with the permission of the Queen's Printer for Scotland on behalf of the Scottish Parliamentary Corporate Body.
6th Meeting, 2002 (Session 1)
Tuesday 23 April 2002
Irene Oldfather (Convener)
John Home Robertson (Deputy Convener)
Apologies: Lloyd Quinan MSP
The meeting opened at 2.00 pm..
1. Inquiry into the future of Cohesion Policy and Structural Funds post 2006: The Committee considered the written evidence submitted so far as part of this Inquiry. The Committee agreed to take oral evidence at subsequent meetings from a range of bodies.
2. Participation in the INTERREG III Community Initiative in Scotland: The Committee considered a briefing paper on INTERREG III and its relevance to Scotland. The Committee agreed to invite a range of bodies to submit written evidence on this and previous versions of the INTERREG initiative.
3. Procedures for reporting and briefing pre- and post-European Council, Council of the EU and Joint Ministerial Committee: The Committee considered the response from the Scottish Executive on the proposed procedures and arrangements for such reporting and briefing. The Committee noted the positive nature of the response. However, the Committee agreed to ask the Scottish Executive for further clarification in one area and to write accordingly. Members agreed that it was important that they are advised as far as possible by the Scottish Executive as to who is attending such meetings and at what level. Members instructed the Clerk to work with officials in the Executive to implement the agreed procedures.
4. Water Framework Directive: The Committee considered a draft report outlining the scope for differential implementation within the EC’s Water Framework Directive (2000/60/EC). The Committee agreed a series of amendments to the report and the insertion of an additional paragraph on concerns raised by the whisky industry in Scotland. Subject to these alterations, the Committee requested that the Clerk make the necessary arrangements for the publication of the report.
5. Work programme (2002-2003): The Committee considered and agreed a paper on its forward programme to May 2003. In addition to ongoing work, this paper also laid out indicative terms of reference for two new Inquiries by the Committee on Europe’s employment strategy and the Scottish model for managing change within it and the success of waste minimisation policy in Scotland. The Committee agreed the work programme and tasked the Clerk to make the necessary arrangements to launch the Inquiry on Europe’s employment strategy. However, the Committee agreed to delay the start of the Inquiry on waste until such times as the reporter’s report on the 6th Environmental Action Plan had been considered by the Committee as this has a focus on waste management.
6. Convener’s Report: The Convener updated the Committee on—
The discussions undertaken at the meeting of the European Chairs-United Kingdom (EC-UK) Group in London, 22 April 2002. The Convener noted that the Group met with the UK parliamentary representatives to the Future of Europe Convention. The Committee welcomed the willingness by the representatives to address the Committee on a occasion in the future.
A letter received from the Minister for Environment and Rural Development on the implementation of Regulation (EC) No 2037/2000 of the European Parliament and of the Council on substances that deplete the ozone layer (disposal of fridges). The Committee agreed to write to the Minister seeking clarification on a number of points as outlined in her written report.
A letter received from the Minister for Environment and Rural Development on decommissioning schemes and reform of the Common Fisheries Policy. The Committee welcomed the comprehensive and rapid response from the Minister and noted the contents of the letter. Members tasked the Clerk to contact officials in the Scottish Executive for further details and clarification on a number of points.
7. Flemish and Catalan Parliaments: The Committee agreed a paper outlining details of a three-way videoconference to be held with members of the "European Committees" of the Flemish and Catalan Parliaments on 30 April 2002. Members also noted that the proposed meeting between the European Committee and the chairs of these committees in Edinburgh on 9 May had been postponed. A future date will be arranged for this.
8. Co-operation with the Committee for Economics, Technology and European Affairs, State Parliament of Saxony-Anhalt: The Committee considered and agreed a paper outlining proposals for further developing the links established with members of this committee in the State Parliament of Saxony-Anhalt.
9. Implementation of agricultural legislation in Scotland: The Committee considered a briefing paper from its reporter on this subject, Nora Radcliffe MSP, and agreed the course of action outlined within it.
10. Sift of EC/EU documents: The Committee noted the list of EC/EU documents received for this meeting, classified according to committee relevancy. The list will be forwarded to the other appropriate committees in the Parliament.
The meeting closed at 3.41 pm.
Clerk to the Committee
This work is protected by copyright. All rights reserved.
The SCOTS Project and the University of Glasgow do not necessarily endorse, support or recommend the views expressed in this document.
Cite this Document
Scottish Parliament: Committees: European: Minutes: Meeting 6, 2002. 2024. In The Scottish Corpus of Texts & Speech. Glasgow: University of Glasgow. Retrieved 2 March 2024, from http://www.scottishcorpus.ac.uk/document/?documentid=1123.
"Scottish Parliament: Committees: European: Minutes: Meeting 6, 2002." The Scottish Corpus of Texts & Speech. Glasgow: University of Glasgow, 2024. Web. 2 March 2024. http://www.scottishcorpus.ac.uk/document/?documentid=1123.
The Scottish Corpus of Texts & Speech, s.v., "Scottish Parliament: Committees: European: Minutes: Meeting 6, 2002," accessed 2 March 2024, http://www.scottishcorpus.ac.uk/document/?documentid=1123.
If your style guide prefers a single bibliography entry for this resource, we recommend:
The Scottish Corpus of Texts & Speech. 2024. Glasgow: University of Glasgow. http://www.scottishcorpus.ac.uk.