Scottish Parliament: Committees: Education, Culture and Sport: Minutes: Meeting 2, 2003
Author(s): Scottish Parliamentary Corporate Body
Copyright holder(s): Scottish Parliamentary Corporate Body: © Scottish Parliamentary copyright material is reproduced with the permission of the Queen's Printer for Scotland on behalf of the Scottish Parliamentary Corporate Body.
2nd Meeting, 2003 (Session 1)
Tuesday 14 January 2003
Karen Gillon (Convener)
Mr Brian Monteith
Cathy Peattie (Deputy Convener)
The meeting opened at
The meeting opened at 2.07 pm.
1. Gaelic Language (Scotland) Bill: The Committee took evidence on the general principles of the Bill at Stage 1 from—
John Mackay, Scottish Natural Heritage
Mary Maclean, Scottish Natural Heritage
Mary Bryden, Director of Public Programmes, National Museums of Scotland
John Walter Jones, Chief Executive, Welsh Language Board
Meirion Prys Jones, Head of Language Planning, Welsh Language Board
2. McCrone Agreement: The Committee considered reviewing the implementation of the McCrone agreement and agreed, due to insufficient time to conduct a detailed inquiry, to recommend that this might be considered by a future Committee.
3. Reporters' Inquiries: The Committee was updated on reporters’ inquiries. The Committee agreed to close the inquiry on popular music as the appointed reporter was no longer a member of the Committee and to seek information from the Executive on the issue of primary school closures.
4. Roman Remains at Cramond: The Committee agreed that this matter was now an issue for the City of Edinburgh Council and the Cramond Management Group. The Committee expressed gratitude to the Lord Provost, Mr Eric Milligan, for his interest and support in this matter. The Committee agreed to recommend that a future Committee might wish to review progress at a later date.
5. Review of Scottish Screen: The Committee noted recent correspondence and agreed to consider this item again when further information had been received from the Executive.
The meeting closed at
The meeting closed at 3.28 pm.
Clerk to the Committee
Room 2.7 Committee Chambers
This work is protected by copyright. All rights reserved.
The SCOTS Project and the University of Glasgow do not necessarily endorse, support or recommend the views expressed in this document.
Cite this Document
Scottish Parliament: Committees: Education, Culture and Sport: Minutes: Meeting 2, 2003. 2023. In The Scottish Corpus of Texts & Speech. Glasgow: University of Glasgow. Retrieved October 2023, from http://www.scottishcorpus.ac.uk/document/?documentid=1111.
"Scottish Parliament: Committees: Education, Culture and Sport: Minutes: Meeting 2, 2003." The Scottish Corpus of Texts & Speech. Glasgow: University of Glasgow, 2023. Web. October 2023. http://www.scottishcorpus.ac.uk/document/?documentid=1111.
The Scottish Corpus of Texts & Speech, s.v., "Scottish Parliament: Committees: Education, Culture and Sport: Minutes: Meeting 2, 2003," accessed October 2023, http://www.scottishcorpus.ac.uk/document/?documentid=1111.
If your style guide prefers a single bibliography entry for this resource, we recommend:
The Scottish Corpus of Texts & Speech. 2023. Glasgow: University of Glasgow. http://www.scottishcorpus.ac.uk.